- Patient Center
- Patient Survey
- Business Center
- Contact / Directions
Donald H. Hangen, M.D.Office Address: 65 Fremont Street, Marlborough, MA. 01752
(B.A., Magna Cum Laude)
Williamstown, MA; 1978 to 1982
Stanford University School of Medicine
Doctor of Medicine
Stanford, CA; 1982 to 1987
Massachusetts General Hospital
Boston, MA; 1987 to 1988
ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS:Instructor in Orthopaedic Surgery
Harvard Medical School; 1994 to 1996
Instructor in Orthopaedic Surgery
University of Massachusetts School of Medicine; 1997 to Present
Fellowship:The Children's Hospital
Boston, MA; July 1990 to December 1990
Cave Traveling Fellowship at the National Referral Hospital
Thimphu, Bhutan; July 1993
Harvard-Massachusetts General Hospital Sports Medicine
Boston, MA; 1993 to 1994
Residency:Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Program
Orthopaedic Surgery Residency
Cambridge, MA; 1988 to 1992
Massachusetts General Hospital
Chief Resident in Orthopaedic Surgery and Associate, Orthopaedic Trauma Service.
Boston, MA; January 1993 to June 1993
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:November 1995 to present U. Mass Marlborough Hospital, Marlborough, Massachusetts:
Medical Staff President, 2004 to 2006
Medical Staff Vice President, 2002 to 2004
Medical Staff Treasurer, 2001 to 2002
Medical Executive Committee, 1999 to 2002
1993 to 1996 Massachusetts General Hospital
1993 to 1996 The Cambridge Hospital, Cambridge, Massachusetts
1993 to 1996 Harvard University Health Services and Stillman Infirmary, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Board Certified:1988 Diplomate of the National Board of Medical Examiners
1991 Massachusetts License number 74422 (Licensed June 26. 1991)
1996 Board Certified, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Re-certification completed June 2005 (valid through December 31, 2016)
1998 Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Academic Honors:1991 Pioneer Award for the best clinical research paper at the Annual Meeting of the Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America.
1987 Awarded Honors of research in medicine. Stanford University School of Medicine.
1984 Co-founder of the Annual Stanford University School of Medicine Student Research Symposium.
1983 - 1984 Stanford Alumni Medical Student Scholars Program for Research.
1982 Awarded Highest Honors of Research Thesis in Biology, Williams College.
1982 Sigma Xi, Scientific Research Society, Associate Member.
1981 Phi Beta Kappa, Williams College.
1978 to 1985 Tyng Foundation Fellowship for 7 years of Undergraduate and Graduate Study.
Memberships:1990 to present American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
1991 to present Orthopaedics Overseas
(Health Volunteers Overseas Volunteer Service at the National Referral Hospital in Thimphu, Bhutan) 1994, 2000, 2002, 2005
1993 to present Massachusetts Medical Society
Task Force on Medical Cost Control, 2004
Interspecialty Committee, 2002
1996 to present Massachusetts Orthopaedic Association
Executive Board, 1997 to present
Treasurer, 1999 to 2002
Vice President, 2002 to 2003
President, 2003 to 2004
2004 to 2006 UMass-Memorial / Marlborough Hospital Board of Trustees
Military Service:1990 to 1996 Captain, Medical Corps, United States Army Reserve.
1996 to 1999 Major, Medical Corps, United States Army Reserve.
1999 Honorable Discharge.
Publications:1. Hangen DH, Kasser JR, Emans JB, Millis MB. The Pavlik harness and developmental dysplasia of the hip: has ultrasound changed treatment patterns? Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics 15:729-735, 1995.
2. Maloney WJ, Schurman DJ, Hangen D, Goodman SB, Edworthy S, Bloch DA. The influence of continuous passive motion on the outcome of total knee arthroplasty. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 256:162-168, 1990.
3. Hangen DH, Segall GM, Harney EW, Stevens JH, McDougall IR, Raffin TA. Kinetics of leukocyte sequestration in the lungs of acutely septic primates: A study using 11 In-labeled autologous leukocytes. Journal of Surgical Research 48:196-203, 1990.
4. Hangen D, Maltz GS, Anderson JE, Knauer CM. Marked hypergastrinemia in gastric outlet obstruction. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology 11:442-444, 1989.
5. Hangen DH, Stevens JH, Satoh PS, Hall EW, O’Hanley PT, Raffin TA. Complement levels in septic primates treated with anti-C5a antibodies. Journal of Surgical Research 46:195-199, 1989.
6. Hangen DH, Bloom RJ, Stevens JH, O’Hanley P, Ranchod M, Collins JA, Raffin TA. The Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome: A live E. coli septic primate model. American Journal of Pathology 126:396-400, 1987.
7. Muller HW, Ignatius MJ, Hangen DH, Shooter EM. Expression of specific sheath cell proteins during peripheral nerve growth and regeneration in mammals. Journal of Cell Biology 101:393-402, 1986.
8. Muller HW, Gebicke-Harter P, Hangen DH, Shooter EM. A specific 37 Kd protein accumulates in regenerating but not non-regenerating mammalian nerves. Science 288:499-501, 1995.
9. Zottoli SJ, Hangen DH, Faber DS. The axon reaction of the goldfish Mauthner cell and factors that influence its morphological variability. Journal of Comparative Neurology 230:497-516, 1984.
Zachezewski JE, Geissler G, Hangen D. Traumatic injuries to the Cervical Spine. In: Athletic Injuries and Rehabilitation. Saunders. 1996.
After Hours Appointments!
Please call our office at 508.485.3665 about evening appointment availability.